Château Haut-BaillyGrand Cru Classé Pessac Léognan 2017Product code: 9319
All pictures shown are for illustration purpose only. Actual label may vary due to changes between vintages.
Blackberry, walnut, iodine, and sandalwood aromas follow through to a full body, round and juicy tannins and an intense, flavorful finish. This shows richness with structure. Excellent 2017
About the Winery
Château Haut-Bailly is a notable winery located in the Bordeaux wine region in the appellation of Pessac-Léognan. The winery and its vineyards remain situated south of the city in the Léognan commune.
Although there are no specific records, people believe that Château Haut-Bailly started its origins in the 16th century. It began to gain its shape when the Daitze family of that time and the Goyanèche obtained and unified a few exceptional plots of land in the 1530s. The winery remained under the ownership of the Daitze family until 1630. After that, Nicolas de Leuvarde and Firmin Le Bailly purchased the estate.
As the years went by, Château Haut-Bailly continued to get passed down as a property of the Bailly family. It was so until 1736. Then, Thomas Barton, an Irishman, took over. Thomas used his strong business and extensive network to spread the word. He let people know of the high-quality wines produced by the winery. It allowed Château Haut-Bailly to rise in fame exponentially.
Later into the future, throughout the 18th century, various ambitious and well-connected owners of Château Haut-Bailly drove the winery to reach new heights. It included Christophe Lafaurie de Monbadon and Laurent, his son.
In 1872, the winery got acquired by Alcide Bellot des Minières. He initiated and oversaw the construction of the imposing yet magnificent stone chateau that remains even today. He established a science-driven and precise approach to the techniques and methods of viticulture. It was under his leadership that Château Haut-Bailly underwent a golden age.
After Alcide’s death, Château Haut-Bailly saw a period of decline and instability. It changed hands very often. It continued until 1955 till Daniel Sanders purchased the winery and ushered it into a new era. Daniel and Jean, his son, reconstructed the winery to regain its former glory.