About San Polino
The story of San Polino began as early as the 10th century, according to what records suggest. A period existed when the Barbarians attacked the land and forced Roselle’s Etruscan city’s inhabitants to move and seek refuge in Sant’Antimo and the rich people’s protective areas. There is a significantly high probability that the first grapevines got planted on the fertile and superior slopes owned by San Polino during this time.
The farmstead and property of San Polino got registered as Montalcino Hospital’s land in 1581. Here, the first distinct and explicit mention and records of the vineyards arose. The mediaeval yet renowned hospital served as a charitable organisation and institution. It provided help and assistance to the poor people and the pilgrims. The hospital owned 30 houses, shops, and farmsteads in the town. In addition to that, several olive presses and furnaces for mortar, brick, and vase-making existed.
In the 18th century, the ownership and management of San Polino went into the hands of the noble family of Piccolomini, hailing from the city of Siena. The family took possession of the property’s lands and farmhouse. Since then, it has remained under their proprietorship.
San Polino believes that all living creatures remain connected, and their wondrous connection can bring outstanding character and personality to the wines it produces. Thus, the winery considers the qualities and morals of elegance, structure, harmony, and balance as their highest priority. It aims to preserve the dynamic and complex ecosystems in its vineyards and terroirs and better understand how they work. San Polino considers it a way to comprehend how nature affects the winemaking process and optimise the wine estate’s methods and techniques accordingly. It allows the wines produced and sold by San Polino to possess and offer excellent taste, aroma, flavour, mouthfeel, colour, and texture.
Buy San Polino wine below.