Shaw and SmithAdelaide Hills Sauvignon Blanc 2021Product code: 9771
All pictures shown are for illustration purpose only. Actual label may vary due to changes between vintages.
About the Winery
Shaw and Smith Wines, based in Adelaide, is one of Australia’s finest wines. A major reason for the exquisite taste of the wines created here is the height of the vineyards. You can find these vines at the backdrop of the majestic Mount Lofty Ranges in Adelaide Hills, just around 30 minutes from Adelaide. The elevation rage of the vines here is anywhere between 350 and 710m, which makes it one of the coolest and wettest places in this locality.
The two vineyards that Shaw and Smith Wines own are spread over an area of 55 hectares. Balhannah and Lenswood are the areas that you need to go to, if you want to take a look at these vineyards. The height, wetness and the unique climate of these vines make them ideal for growing varieties such as Chardonnay, Pinot Noir, Shiraz and Sauvignon Blanc.
Sauvignon Blanc is mostly cultivated in Balhannah whereas Chardonnay and Pinot Noir are mostly grown in Lenswood. When cousins Michael Hill Smith and Martin Shaw started this brand in 1989, their objective was to make exclusive wines from varietals that grew well in very cool climates. Some of the popular wines that are created by the Shaw and Smith brand are:
- Sauvignon Blanc - Made from varietals grown in Balhannah and Lenswood; Comes with a pink grapefruit texture and is well-balanced.
- M3 Chardonnay - Comes with stone fruit and other citrus fruit flavours; this wine is naturally fermented and allowed to mature on lees.
- Lenswood Vineyard Chardonnay - Unique vintage character; whole bunches of handpicked Chardonnay are chilled and pressed before fermentation to give it the much-needed intensity.
- Pinot Noir - Vintage Wine that comes with the boldness of red berries such as raspberries and cherries; known for its intensity and regional flavours
- Shiraz - Made from medium-bodied Shiraz grape varietals for the right flavour