AkaruaCentral Otago Rosé Brut NVProduct code: 436
All pictures shown are for illustration purpose only. Actual label may vary due to changes between vintages.
About the Winery
Located in Central Otago in New Zealand, the Akarua wine label is one of the fastest-growing wine brands today. It was in the 1970s that the Skeggs family realised the potential of this place and decided to plant vines here. With its excellent climate, great soil and wonderful terroir, this region is believed to be one of the best wine-producing regions in New Zealand. The Bannockburn region, in particular, is blessed with the exactly same climate and soil quality as that of Burgundy in France, one of the premium wine regions in the world.
What started off as a small brand in the 1970s started growing rapidly over the years with Akarua purchasing many vineyards nearby to expand its scope. Today, the estate and winery are owned by the young generations of the Skeggs Family, with the same passion and dedication as their ancestors.
The vineyards from where the grapes are sourced to create Akarua wines are:
Cairnmuir Road - The first vines were planted here in 1996 and this vineyard covers an area of 5o hectares. This was the original vineyard of Akarua. Overlooking the beautiful Kawarau River, this vineyard consists of 90% Pinot Noir cultivations. The remaining 10% of the land is planted with Pinot Gris, Chardonnay and Riesling.
Felton Road – Bought in 2014, this vineyard covers an area of around 21 hectares. While Pinot Noir is the major varietal planted here, you will also find small patches of Pinot Gris and Riesling.
Lowburn – Also purchased in 2014, this 14-hectare vineyard comprises of Pinot Noir plantations only.
Kawarau – Covering an area of 28 hectares, this is the first vineyard of Akarua where organic viticultural practices took place. Here, you will find neat arrangements of Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc and Pinot Noir.
25 Steps – This is a small, 9-hectare vineyard located on the Cromwell-Luggate Highway. 100% Pinot Noir vines are cultivated on terraced farms here.