About Charles Melton
Located in the Barossa winemaking area of South Australia, Charles Melton Wines was founded in the year 1986. Melton, along with his wife, Virginia Weckert, created this brand, after years of working for different wine brands. Today, he is considered as one of the most popular winemakers in the Barossa Valley as was inducted into the reputed organisation, “Barons of Barossa” in the year 2007.
Within two years of setting up, Melton along with his expert created the first vintage of its highly popular wine, Nine Popes. This is a blend of Grenache, Shiraz and Mourvedre (GSM). When Melton created this blend, it became the first GSM to have been ever created in the Barossa Valley. Another popular wine crafted by Melton is the Rose of Virginia (made from Grenache and named after his wife). This rose’ wine is so popular that it is considered as one of the best rose’ wines ever created in Australia.
Charles Melton selects hand-picked grapes grown in the estate and family-owned vineyards in the Barossa Valley for making his vintage wines. This is probably one of the major reasons why he is credited for reviving the Grenache grape varietal in Australia. The vineyards that are chosen by Melton are the following:
- The Kirche Vineyard located in Krondorf – Known for producing the highest quality of Cabernet in the Barossa Valley
- Winery Block located in Krondorf – Has a majority of Grenache vines with a small patch of Shiraz in between
- Woodland Vineyard located in Altona – Majorly used for cultivating Grenache and Shiraz, but a small portion of the vineyard is also used for Cabernet
- Koch Vineyard located in Rowland Flat – Used for cultivating Grenache and Shiraz in equal numbers
- High Eden, Eden Valley – Used majorly for Shiraz but a small amount of Grenache is also grown here; a very small portion of the land cultivates the unique blend of Chateauneuf du Pape