About Castillo Clavijo
Surrounded by mountains, rivers, valleys and castles all around, the Castillo Clavijo winery, located in the heart of Doca Rioja, is a sight to behold, indeed! This place is ideal for growing grapes because it is blessed with the perfect mix of Mediterranean and Atlantic climatic conditions. The majority of the vineyards from where the grapes are sourced for this region are located in the three distinct areas of DOC Rioja namely, Rioja Alta, Rioja Alavesa and Rioja Baja.
The soil quality and the terroir in these regions are perfect for growing many native grape varietals including the famous Tempranillo. Apart from these, some other varietals that you can see all along the 550 hectares of this group's vineyards are Garnacha, Graciano and Mazuelo in the red categories & Viura, Malvasia and Garnacha in the white categories.
The barrel-aged Castillo Clavijo wines crafted at the winery will give you an exact representation of the rich wine history of the Rioja region. To tap the potential of the Rioja area to the maximum possible extent, Bodegas Castillo Clavijo has signed an agreement with 500 small winegrowers in the area. This deal helped them explore the various terroirs and soils of the Rioja area and plant the right varietals. This is the main reason why the grapes reflect the true character and heritage of the terroirs in this region.
The range of aged wines from Castillo Clavijo include:
- Crianza – made from 80% Tempranillo and 20% Garnacha
- Reserva – made from 80% Tempranillo, 10% Garnacha and 10% Mazuelo
- Gran Reserva – made from 75% Tempranillo, 10% Garnacha, 10% Graciano and 5% Mazuelo
- Fermentado En Barrica – made from 85% Viura, 10% Malvasia and 5% Garnacha Blanca
- Matured Tempranillo – made from 100% Tempranillo; only vines with an average age of 13 are used for making this wine
Buy Castillo Clavijo wine below.