About Chapel Hill
The history and origin of Chapel Hill go back to early 1865. It was when the chapel of the same name got established. It got built by Methodist settlers who came to the McLaren Vale area. The chapel served as a school and place of social gathering and worship. Several local families of the farming line visited it for almost a century.
The next chapter or tale of the chapel began around the early 1970s. It was in a state of disintegration and disrepair when it caught the eye of Professor Thomas Nelson of the University of Adelaide. He purchased from the Uniting Church the building and its surrounding land. In 1972, he planted grapevines on the plot for the first time. Professor Thomas worked exceedingly hard to convert the decaying and old chapel. He incorporated additional spaces to construct offices, tasting rooms, and a winery. It served as the foundation for the Chapel Hill Winery we see today. A notable feature of the renovations done to the chapel included the stained glass window. For that reason, the winery used it in its logo.
Chapel Hill Winery saw a steep rise and period of growth when Pam Dunsford, a pioneering South Australian winemaker, led the team. It continued till the winery got acquired by the Endeavour Group. Today, Chapel Hill Winery presents premium wines. They express the winery's history and provenance.
The ironstone chapel of 1865 proudly remains in place today, representing the extensive journey of the winery. Today, it serves as an integral part of the tasting room.
Another asset of the past that has carried on is the highly beneficial microclimate. It is of the region of the Onkaparinga Gorge. The land, blessed with rocky soils, allows the planted grapevines to grow and develop in the best conditions.
Buy Chapel Hill wine below.