Mas De Daumas GassacCuvée Emile Peynaud 2015Product code: 4936
All pictures shown are for illustration purpose only. Actual label may vary due to changes between vintages.
A quintessential wine with the characteristics of the Mas de Daumas Gassac Grands Vins – dark ruby red, powerful density, marked by the deep power of aromas so original to the Mas de Daumas Gassac terroir
About the Winery
The word, Mas, refers to a farmhouse. In the 1970s, a beautiful farmhouse in the Gassac Valley was under the control of the Daumas Family. The climate, soil quality and richness of the terroir here were enough to inspire many a passionate winemaker.
Veronique and Aime Guibert were looking for a place to set up their own wine estate when they stumbled upon this place. After consulting with an expert oenologist, they decided to make this their base location. The climate and soil quality of this place is similar to the conditions found in the premium wine region of Cotes d’Or in Burgundy. The location at Mas de Daumas Gassac had all the potential to produce high-quality Grand Crus that could stand the test of time.
In 1972, the Guibert couple started planting their first Cabernet Sauvignon vines here. In the subsequent years, the couple, along with a team of expert winemakers, joined to set up a winery and a sophisticated cellar in this location. The hard work of the team paid off when the label released its first vintage into the market in the year 1978. It was called Mas de Daumas Gassac Rouge and it was made using 80% Cabernet Sauvignon.
The vineyards are located amidst 4000 hectares of forest. Red and white grape varietals are grown here, thanks to the diverse soil qualities found in different parcels of the vineyards. Among the red varietals, Cabernet Sauvignon is the most planted type. Apart from this, you will also find other varietals such as Cabernet Franc, Merlot, Malbec, Tannat, Syrah, Pinot Noir, Petit Verdot, Carmenere and ten other uncommon, indigenous types planted on 20% of the vineyards.
Though there are quite a few white varietals grown here, Viognier, Chardonnay, Petit Manseng and Chenin make up for about 90% of the white vines. The remaining 10% comprises of almost 14 uncommon varietals such as Neherleschol.