The Morgenster Estate is a 300-year old family-owned property located at the foothills of the Helderberg Mountains in Somerset West, South Africa. The estate is known for producing award-winning Bordeaux-style wines, which are some of the best in this region. The original manor house, which was constructed in 1786, was acquired by Guilio Bertrand. Bertrand understood that the Morgenster estate had the calibre to produce some of the best red grapes and olives in South Africa.
When most of the other wine labels in South Africa were growing grapes & olives inspired by Italian culture, Bertrand ventured into a different style of winemaking inspired by French culture. He started making Bordeaux-style wines with great commitment to quality and excellence. After he died in 2018, his daughters have taken over the control & management of the Morgenster Estate.
The wines created at this estate are classified into three ranges – Premium Range, Single Varietal Range and Italian Collection Range. Here is a brief overview of these ranges:
- Cuvee Alessandra – Made from Cabernet Franc
- White Reserve – Blend of Sauvignon Blanc and Semillon
- Lourens River Valley – Made from Bordeaux-style special red blends
- Estate Reserve – Excellent blends from fruits of Schapenberg mountainsides
Single Varietal Range
The varietals used for this range of wines are Cabernet Franc, Cabernet Sauvignon, Sauvignon Blanc, Merlot and Sangiovese.
Italian Collection Range
- Nebbiolo – For those who don’t know, this is one of the most famous native grape varietals of northern Italy. It is many times more powerful than Pinot Noir.
- Sangiovese Dry Rose – You can experience summer in Italy when you taste this dry wine. Made from Sangiovese varietals, this wine has a perfect blend of fruity & floral aromas.
- Vermentino – Made from the native Italian white varietal of Vermentino, this wine is known for its purity.
- Tosca – Made from a blend of Bordeaux-style grapes and Sangiovese
Buy Morgenster wine below.