Castello di VerdunoBarbaresco 2018Product code: 14316
All pictures shown are for illustration purpose only. Actual label may vary due to changes between vintages.
Castello di Verduno Barbaresco is a red wine with a bright ruby color and intense aromas of red fruits, spices, and vanilla. It is made from 100% Nebbiolo grapes, carefully selected from the prestigious Barbaresco appellation in Piedmont, Italy. The wine is aged for at least two years in oak barrels, resulting in a complex flavor with a perfect balance of tannins, acidity, and fruitiness. On the palate, Castello di Verduno Barbaresco is elegant, refined, and persistent, with a long and pleasant finish. It is a sophisticated and versatile wine that pairs well with various Italian dishes, roasted meats, and aged cheeses.
Ripe forest berry, fragrant blue flower, menthol and baking spice aromas lift out of the glass along with an earthy dose of underbrush. Savory and elegant, the smooth palate offers ripe red cherry, juicy pomegranate, cinnamon and star anise alongside taut, polished tannins
About the Winery
The story and history of Castello di Verduno start in the 1500s, at the start of the 16th century. It began when the Cerrato family initiated the construction of the Castle. In 1585, the entire estate got donated by Senatore Bernardino Scozia to Benedetto Cerrato, the Consignore of Verduno.
In 1631, the government passed the Treaty of Cherasco. Thus, Castello di Verduno had to get handed over to the jurisdiction and management of the House of Savoy. After that, Castello di Verduno changed hands multiple times. In 1633, the Rachis family from the commune and town of Racconigi acquired the winery from the Scozias.
In 1737, the then-owner of Castello di Verduno had to sell every property under his ownership to Carlo Luigi Caisotti. Carlo put in immense efforts to rebuild a portion of the Castle following a Juvarr design. In 1799, Carlo Giuseppe Caisotti let go of his property located in Verduno. He divided them into equal parts and bestowed them to the Carità and San Giovanni hospitals situated in Turin.
In 1838, the Castle of Verduno got purchased from the two institutions by the Savoy King Carlo Alberto. He entrusted the functioning and management of the wine cellar and estate to General Carlo Staglieno. After that, Paolo Francesco Staglieno, the ‘Oenotechnician General,’ follows the methods and practices proposed by Giulia Falletti Colbert. It allowed him to vinify the Nebbiolo grapes of the region and lay the foundation for the production of the modern Barolo.
The Burlotto family acquired Castello di Verduno in 1909 and the estate from its previous owner, the House of Savoy. In 1953, a portion of the property got converted to accommodate a hotel. On the other hand, its wine cellars underwent repairs and restorations to ready them for the production of Verduno and Barolo.